6 Things You Didn't Know About Hellebores
You may or may not have heard of Hellebores. They are also called Lenten Roses or Christmas Roses, depending on the species. Here are 6 things you didn't know about this MUST HAVE plant for your garden:
1) Hellebores are DEER RESISTANT! You read right, this tough perennial is virtually deer proof. If you have issues with deer, this plant is for you.
2) Hellebores are evergreen perennials! When you think of evergreens, a pine or spruce tree probably come to mind. The leaves of Hellebores are very thick and leathery. This keeps their leaves green all winter long. Sometimes in severe winters, the foliage may turn brown. Simply trim the leaves off, being careful not to cut off the emerging flower buds.
3) Hellebores are one of the first perennials to bloom in the spring! Winter blues will be swept away by these early blooming gems. Christmas Roses-(Helleborus niger) bloom much earlier and Lenten Roses (Helleborus orientalis) bloom during Lent.
4) Hellebores love shade! If you are tired of your boring old hostas that get eaten by deer every year, try a Hellebore. They prefer a moist, well drained site in partial to full shade.
5) Hellbores bloom for a very long time! With new hybridizing techniques, many hellebores bloom for 6-12 weeks!
6) Hellebores change color as they age! Each variety of Hellebore is a little different, but they all start out one color, open to another and fade to a third color. Enjoy a rainbow of colors all early spring long by planting different varieties.
- Ulysses Hedrick